- Officer, Order of Australia (AO).
- Pingat Bakti Masyarakat (Public Service Medal), Singapore (PBM).
- Who’s Who Legal 2006 considered Michael to be “a level above the rest”.
- The Practical Law Company Yearbook 2006 ranked Michael as one of the leading lawyers in Australia in dispute resolution.
- Cross-Border Quarterly 2006 ranked Michael in the top 20 arbitration specialists in the world.
- Who’s Who Legal 2007 described Michael as “the top dog on international arbitration in Australia” and stated that he is seen as being “head and shoulders above everyone else”.
- Chambers Global 2007 described Michael as “experienced and extremely sound”.
- Chamber and Partners’ Asia Pacific 2014 lists Dr Pryles as a Star Individual in the “most in demand arbitrator” category.
- The Practical Law Company Yearbook 2007 rated Michael as a leading individual in dispute resolution in Australia and described him as a “well-known international corporate arbitrator”.
- Chambers Asia 2008 stated that Michael ‘”works hard, thinks smart and always focuses upon what is important”. He was the founding President of the APRAG, and few have contributed as much to the growth of the regional arbitration community as he has. Commentators champion his “independence, diligence and speed in procedural issues” while also lauding his “swift responsiveness in dealing with parties’ requests. Win or lose Counsel will never leave with any complaints of Pryles”‘.
- Who’s Who Legal 2008 described Michael as having ‘”an international standing and exposure on commercial arbitration” that makes him the most highly-regarded Australian in the book’.
- Chambers Global 2008 described Michael as a ‘world-renowned arbitrator’ who is ‘[a] strong contributor to the development of arbitration within the Asia-Pacific region’ and ‘was the founding president of the Asia Pacific Regional Arbitration Group’.
- Michael was recognised as one of Australia’s top lawyers, as judged by their peers, Australian Financial Review, 7 March 2008, and 6 March 2009.
- Michael was ranked as one of the 5 leading individuals in dispute resolution in Australia by PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook 2008 and 2009.
- Chambers Asia 2009 described “Full-time arbitrator Pryles” as “perhaps Australia’s most successful export in this field”.
- Who’s Who Legal, Commercial Arbitration 2010, described Michael Pryles as a “star”.
- Chambers Asia Pacific (2011) said that Michael is “a particularly highly regarded figure in the region, noted for his wisdom, fairness and ability to “deal with an arbitration efficiently and with good humour”.
- Michael Pryles was included in Euromoney, Expert Guides, the Best of the Best 2011.
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2012 Michael Pryles as being “up there in the stratosphere when it comes to arbitrators” and highlights his “truly global practice, approachable demeanour and judicial approach”.
- Michael Pryles was included in the Australian Financial Review Best Lawyers in Australia list (2012).
- Who’s Who Legal, Commercial Arbitration 2012 describers Michael Pryles as a “worldwide authority” on investor-state and commercial disputes.
- Chambers Global 2013 lists Michael Pryles in its Most In Demand Arbitrators (Global-wide) in Band 1 and describes him as “a dominant figure in the Asian market, frequently active in the major arbitral centres of Singapore and Hong Kong. He has also conducted cases in Europe, North America, and Australia, including construction, energy, commercial, technology, and insurance disputes.”
- Chambers Global 2013 also lists Michael in Most In Demand Arbitrators (Asia-Pacific Region) as a Star individual and describes him as “one of the most highly respected arbitrators in the region, and has a very high profile. Peers have ‘tremendous respect’ for this Melbourne-based practitioner.
- Chambers (International) Most in Demand Arbitrators 2014 says Dr Pryles is “amongst the stand out arbitrators in the Asia-Pacific market, recognised by interviewees for his prominence in the field and his ‘extremely well organised’ approach to chairing arbitration committees.”
- Who’s Who Legal – Commercial Arbitration 2014 lists Dr Pryles as one of the 25 “Most Highly Regarded Individuals” worldwide.
- Chambers Global 2015 (Global-wide, and, Asia Pacific Region) state that Michael Pryles is recognised for his “balanced approach, commitment to excellence, attention to detail and really good procedural rulings”.
- Chambers and Partners 2016 wrote about Michael: “Melbourne-based Michael Pryles offers unrivalled experience in the international arbitration field” and have recognised Michael as one of three most in demand arbitrators in Asia Pacific and lists him as a global wide Band 1 arbitrator.
- Who’s Who Legal – Arbitration 2016 lists Dr Pryles as one of the 25 “Most Highly Regarded Individuals” and says “Melbourne-based Michael Pryles is ‘one of the foremost arbitrators in the Southern Hemisphere’, a veteran of more than 400 cases, both ad hoc and institutional, and respected as ‘no-nonsense and known to favour short deadlines, which means he really gets things done.’”
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017 lists Dr Pryles as a Star Individual and says “Michael Pryles’s stellar reputation continues to be endorsed by commentators, who speak of him in such terms as ‘the biggest name out here’ and testify to his high level of activity and consistent recommendation ‘for the highest-value, most complex cases.’ His ability to focus on the essential elements of a case is emphasised by a number of commentators, one of whom reports how he “dealt efficiently with the proceedings, cutting through the nonsense to deliver a very detailed award promptly.”
- Who’s Who Legal – Arbitration 2017 lists Dr Pryles as one of the 25 “Most Highly Regarded Individuals”.
- Best Lawyers 2018 lists Michael Pryles as one of the best lawyers in Melbourne, Australia for alternative dispute resolution.
- Chambers Global 2017 lists Dr Pryles in Band 1 and says: “Sole practitioner Michael Pryles is a well-known figure in the Singaporean arbitration arena, and in the Asia-Pacific region more generally. He is noted for his regular involvement with China-related cases, undertaking arbitral appointments governed by the complete spectrum of institutional rules.”
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018 lists Dr Pryles as a Star Individual and says “Michael Pryles maintains his position among “the most prominent names in the international arbitration circuit” and among the pre-eminent arbitrators in Asia-Pacific. Sources cite his “work throughout the region,” his appearance on “really high-profile cases” and his “superb and well prepared” handling of them. His no-nonsense approach – “running a tight ship,” as one interviewee calls it – and the fact that “he is usually acceptable to all parties” are further considerations which make him “definitely sought after,” in the opinion of many market sources.”
- Chambers Global and Asia-Pacific 2019 lists Michael as a Star Individual and says that he is “in a class of his own,” according to market sources. A former president of SIAC and ACICA, he maintains a stellar reputation in Singapore and is appointed to arbitrate high-level matters across various business sectors. “He was superb and well prepared,” an interviewee reports.
As a Most in Demand Arbitrator , Chambers Global 2019 says that Michael maintains his position among “the most prominent names in the international arbitration circuit” and among the pre-eminent arbitrators in Asia-Pacific. Sources cite his “work throughout the region,” his appearance on “really high-profile cases” and his “superb and well prepared” handling of them. His no-nonsense approach – “running a tight ship,” as one interviewee calls it – and the fact that “he is usually acceptable to all parties” are further considerations which make him “definitely sought after,” in the opinion of many market sources.
Best Lawyers 2019 lists Michael in Best Lawyers in Australia for Alternative Dispute Resolution.